Re: imread / imwrite status?

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: imread / imwrite status?
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:57:56 +0300

How about imlib?

http://enlightenment.org/Libraries/Imlib.html

It seems to do the work of converting from several image types into a bitmap (it also does quite a bit more, but that is probably irrelevant for imread/imwrite). It is also quite common -- it see it on the fc1 & fc2 machines I have now.

Shai

John W. Eaton wrote:
On  9-Sep-2005, Brendan Drew wrote:

| Appologies if this is going to the wrong list -- there's a maintainers | list but no devel list, which is where I'd usually send this sort of thing.

For Octave, maintainers == devel.

| I am presently using Octave 2.1.64 (SuSE binaries) and Octave-Forget | 2004.11.16. Looking through the release notes for Octave and | Octave-Forge, it appears that imread and imwrite (my bread and butter, | so to speak) are both implemented by forking off an ImageMagick | (convert) process. This gets to be intolerably slow when reading large | sequences of images (my C++ png reading / writing code is roughly a | factor of 10 faster on my system, which when you multiply out by 6000+ | images is quite the savings). Are there any plans for a C++ version of | imread / imwrite? If not, I'd be happy to take a weekend or two to start | hacking one together if there is sufficient interest.

Is there any "standard" or widely used free (GPL compatible) code that
can read various image formats packaged as a nice libarary that we
could use?  If so, I think it would be much better to use that instead
of writing our own.  Perhaps the pbm library would be a good starting
point.  If not, then I think it would be best to try to gather the
(free, GPL compatible) code that does exist and put it in a library
that Octave and other projects could all use.

jwe