two questions

From: major
Subject: two questions
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 23:58:42 +0200

Hello!

I've just installed octave (cygwin) to my computer and now learning the
difference between octave and matlab.
I can find the solution for the followings on my own. Please help me and sorry
for the supposingly stupid questions.

1. dir command does not work:
octave:15> dir
usage: dir (file)
error: evaluating if command near line 53, column 3
error: called from `dir' in file
`/usr/share/octave/2.1.71/m/miscellaneous/dir.m'

??? What can be wrong?

2. In one of my mfiles the plot command does not work. Why?
I copied the short m file to the end of this mail. The graphs are not showed,
no error reports, no any messages at all but plot command works pretty well in
another mfile with the same syntax. So I really have no any idea what could
happen. All things that happen is something like that:

octave:19> mine

MINE MANAGEMENT MODEL
octave:20>

thanks in advance

Klári

===============================mine.m=======================================
% Mine Management Model
  fprintf('\nMINE MANAGEMENT MODEL\n')
%  close all

% Enter algorithm parameters
  maxit = 100;
  tol = sqrt(eps);

% Enter model parameters
  price = 1;                    % price of ore
  sbar  = 10;                  % initial ore stock
  delta = 0.9;                  % discount factor

% Construct state and action spaces
  S = (0:sbar)';                % vector of states
  X = (0:sbar)';                % vector of actions
  n = length(S);                % number of states
  m = length(X);                % number of actions

% Construct reward function (f) and state transition function (g)
% Vectorized version
  [SS,XX] = gridmake(S,X);
  f = (price-XX./(1+SS)).*XX;
  f(XX>SS) = -inf;