Re: difficulty installing running Octave from CYGWIN

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: difficulty installing running Octave from CYGWIN
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 14:59:13 +0300

did you install octave using the cygwin installer? This is the recommended way -- look for it under "math"

Shai

Bob Green wrote:
Hello Paul,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried startxwin.sh as well as startx (as recommended in your e-mail to Andy Yip) & receive the same message -

bash: startxwin.sh: command not found

I am wondering whether I have CYGWIN installed properly. Under this directory there are the following folders - bin, etc, home, lib, temp, usr & the files cygwin.bat & cygwin.ico. When I click on the cygwin.bat file I get a DOS window with the command line - address@hidden ~

Does this sound right? Presuming I am doing things right so far (which may be a big presumption) can you suggest anything to check whether the programs are installed properly? CYGWIn is on my C drive and Octave on my D drive - does this make a difference?

Any assistance is appreciated,

regards

Bob

I have been