Umfpack configuration

From: Dave Bekker
Subject: Umfpack configuration
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 15:09:09 +0200

Hello,

I'm new to the whole octave thing, and I downloaded the sourcecode via cvs (I'm running Linux).  After dealing with all the dependencies I could, I came to UMFPACK.  I downloaded the source for 4.4 and ran make lib in /UMFPACK and /AMD directories. I've tried running the configure script with
./configure --libdir="/home/bekkerd/Downloads/octave/UMFPACKv4.4/UMFPACK/Lib/libumfpack.a" --libdir="/home/bekkerd/Downloads/octave/UMFPACKv4.4/AMD/Lib/libamd.a" --includedir="/home/bekkerd/Downloads/octave/UMFPACKv4.4/UMFPACK/Include/"

and also running it plain, and copying libumfpack.a and libamd.a to /usr/local/lib and umfpack.h to /usr/local/include

Either way I still get
configure: WARNING: UMFPACK not found.  This will result in some lack of functionality for sparse matrices.

What am I doing wrong / what do I need to do?

Thanks for any help
Dave