Re: source code for previous versions

From: Rick Smegal
Subject: Re: source code for previous versions
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 11:12:51 -0700

> >  I'm currently using a mission critical octave function that
> >is broken for all versions of octave greater than 2.1.50.
> >Even though this function is about to be retired, I will
> >find it instructive to get it working on later versions.
> >However, for archival and documentation purposes, I should enclose
> >the octave source package along with current function and data.
> >QUESTION: where can I find the source (i686-pc-linux-gnu) for
> >octave 2.1.50? It didn't seem to be available from the download
> >page.
>
> I think ftp://ftp.octave.org/pub/octave/bleeding-edge/ is what you're
> looking for. It has the entire 2.1.x series available for download. What
> function is it? Perhaps someone on the list can help.
I found it. Thanks!
Regarding help, I may do that. However, to streamline the process
I must find a simplified example to illustrate (to myself and others)
the problem and perhaps isolate it. Debugging has thus far been difficult
as even innocuous print statements change the behavior in (at least to me)
unpredictable ways and segmentation faults often occur. Scanning the
help archives I suspect that it has something to do with way the function
appends structures to an input array of structures and returns the result.
I suspect it's not a bug in octave but something I shouldn't be
doing. If this is the case, I would like to know what I did wrong in order
to avoid it in the future.
Hence, the list may see more from me on this.

> BTW, if you downloaded a binary copy of Octave, you should have been
> able to get a copy of the exact sources that were used to build that
> binary from the site that offered the binary, or a written offer to
> provide the sources.  I think anything else would be a violation of
Good point. I'm sure that the sysadmin could dig this up.
I will keep this in mind should such a situation reoccur.
Thanks again.