Problem detecting ATLAS

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Problem detecting ATLAS
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 16:41:33 -0500

I'm working on an RPM package of ATLAS for Fedora, which I'm generating using a modified version of the Debian build rules in order to avoid re-inventing the wheel. I'm using the octave configure script to verify that they are being generated correctly. It's now passing the first test but failing the second:
checking for sgemm_ in -lf77blas... no

The failure is due to the following error when linking to my new atlas libs:
/usr/lib/libf77blas.a(sgemm.o)(.text+0x1e8): In function `sgemm_':
: undefined reference to `atl_f77wrap_sgemm_'

nm /usr/lib/libf77blas.a | grep atl_f77wrap_sgemm_
00000000 T atl_f77wrap_sgemm__
        U atl_f77wrap_sgemm_

I suspect there's something wrong in the atlas build process, but I don't know much about how linkers work, so I don't see why this is happening. I should note that this is all built with gcc 4.0.1 and gfortran, which required some modifications to the Debian stuff because they haven't moved to gcc 4 yet. Any ideas?

-Quentin