Single to double-quoted string conversion

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Single to double-quoted string conversion
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 13:37:08 -0500

I have been testing out octave 2.9.3, which is now available from the development version of Fedora extras, complete with umfpack and glpk. I noticed that when I call the legend function with a single-quoted string, I get warnings generated by the internals of the legend function about concatenating the two string types. I imagine there are many functions like this in octave and octave-forge that take string inputs and would result in similar warnings. If in the long term we are going to make a distinction between the two string types and create these types of warnings, it seems the easiest way for core functions to avoid internally generating the warnings is to convert input arguments from one type to the other. Is there a function available that does this?

-Quentin