Re: Installing Octave

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: Installing Octave
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 09:37:08 -0500

Mike Miller wrote:

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, David Bateman wrote:

address@hidden wrote:

Sorry for the harangue, especially if I am mistaken.....if I'm not mistaken, let is serve as a wakeup call ?

Yes you're missing something

www.cygwin.com -> setup.exe -> select package octave / octave-forge ....

But let's note that it is not easy for people to get Octave running on their PCs. I think we have noted this before, but it remains probably the biggest obstacle to wider use of Octave.

I agree, and I think that's well understood by the octave community. While the Octave on windows situation isn't as simple as what Windows users are used to, it's dramatically improved from where it was 5 years ago when I first tried Octave. Frankly, the real problem for Octave on Windows is a lack of willing volunteers. People need to realize that Octave is largely a volunteer effort. We need the "computer jocks" who want a simpler install to step up and volunteer their skills. Some have done so recently, and thanks to them there is now a fairly straightforward installation using cygwin, as David has pointed out. If you want to take it a step further and make a one-click install, I'm sure many users will appreciate your efforts.

-Quentin