Re: doubt in char

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: doubt in char
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 09:20:45 -0500

Robert A. Macy wrote:

Makes sense, but

which char.m

returns the same file I sent the copy of.
I didn't find a different one.
but "which char" (without the .m) on my version of Octave returns:
char is a built-in function

Just curious...which filename is not as intuitive as where
filename.  Is this a carry over from Matlab compatibility?

Yes, but Matlab got its "which" command from Unix. The which command is still a commonly used command on Unix and Linux systems now, so I suspect that since Octave was developed on those systems, it would have probably ended up with the same command even had it developed in a world without Matlab. True, the command is less intuitive than "where"--maybe there are historical Unix reasons for it.

-Quentin