Re: gnuplot: set terminal png

From: Vic Norton
Subject: Re: gnuplot: set terminal png
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 15:11:06 -0400

Thanks for all the replies to my original question:
   How do you get "gnuplot> set terminal png" to work?
I was really interested in just this question, not in various ways to
convert graphical output into pngs.

As I mentioned I am using Mac OS X 10.3. I have reinstalled gnuplot
and the "set terminal png" command works fine now. I'll put down what
I did here for other Mac users. Maybe it will help someone.

You can get gnuplot 4.0.0 from sourceforge.net. Two alternatives are
   http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gnuplot/Gnuplot-4.0.0.dmg
   http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gnuplot/gnuplot-4.0.0.tar.gz

As a Mac person I was inclined toward the first alternative. This is a
binary package that installs itself. This is how I installed gnuplot
4.0.0 the first time, what I was using when I asked my original
question. Unfortunately there is no way that "set terminal png" will
ever work if you take this alternative.

OK, so the second alternative is necessary. Here is how I did the
installation, including the installation of certain prerequisites.
Each installation part shows the source of the package followed
by the requisite commands. The first command always changes to the
unpacked package directory.

Regards,

Vic

=== install zlib
http://www.zlib.net/
zlib-1.2.3.tar.bz2

vic$ cd /Users/vic/Download/zlib-1.2.3
zlib-1.2.3$ ./configure
zlib-1.2.3$ make test
zlib-1.2.3$ sudo make install
=== install libpng
http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/libpng.html
libpng-1.2.8.tar.bz2

vic$ cd /Users/vic/Download/libpng-1.2.8
libpng-1.2.8$ cp scripts/makefile.darwin makefile
   Now in makefile set
   ZLIBLIB=/usr/local/lib
   ZLIBINC=/usr/local/include
libpng-1.2.8$ make
libpng-1.2.8$ make test
libpng-1.2.8$ sudo make install
=== install freetype
http://freetype.sourceforge.net/download.html#stable
freetype-2.1.10.tar.bz2

vic$ cd /Users/vic/Download/freetype-2.1.10
freetype-2.1.10$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
freetype-2.1.10$ make
freetype-2.1.10$ sudo make install
=== install gd
http://www.boutell.com/gd/
gd-2.0.33.tar.gz

vic$ cd /Users/vic/Download/gd-2.0.33
gd-2.0.33$ ./configure
gd-2.0.33$ sudo make install
---
** Configuration summary for gd 2.0.33:

   Support for PNG library:          yes
   Support for JPEG library:         no
   Support for Freetype 2.x library: yes
   Support for Fontconfig library:   yes
   Support for Xpm library:          yes
   Support for pthreads:             yes
=== install gnuplot
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gnuplot/gnuplot-4.0.0.tar.gz
gnuplot-4.0.0.tar.gz

vic$ cd /Users/vic/Download/gnuplot-4.0.0
gnuplot-4.0.0$ ./configure
gnuplot-4.0.0$ sudo make install
---
** Configuration summary for gnuplot 4.0.0:

  Where is the help file?           /usr/local/share/gnuplot/4.0/gnuplot.gih

  Use builtin minimal readline
  Enable generation of GIF files
  Enable generation of PNG files
    using gd driver