Re: changing the color of curves continuously

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: changing the color of curves continuously
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:56:15 -0500

On 27-Jul-2005, Mike Miller wrote:

|    http://www.gnuplot.info/faq/faq.html#SECTION00037000000000000000
|
|    1.7 Does gnuplot have anything to do with the FSF and the GNU project?
|
|    Gnuplot is neither written nor maintained by the FSF. It is not covered
|    by the General Public License, either. It used to be distributed by the
|    FSF, however, due to licensing issues it is no longer.
|
|    Gnuplot is freeware in the sense that you don't have to pay for it.
|    However it is not freeware in the sense that you would be allowed to
|    distribute a modified version of your gnuplot freely. Please read and
|    accept the Copyright file in your distribution.

I think this info is somewhat out of date.  The current gnuplot
copyright statement is

  Update mailing list addresses, copyright years, prepare for release.

  /*[
   * Copyright 1986 - 1993, 1998, 2004   Thomas Williams, Colin Kelley
   *
   * Permission to use, copy, and distribute this software and its
   * documentation for any purpose with or without fee is hereby granted,
   * provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and
   * that both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear
   * in supporting documentation.
   *
   * Permission to modify the software is granted, but not the right to
   * distribute the complete modified source code.  Modifications are to
   * be distributed as patches to the released version.  Permission to
   * distribute binaries produced by compiling modified sources is granted,
   * provided you
   *   1. distribute the corresponding source modifications from the
   *    released version in the form of a patch file along with the binaries,
   *   2. add special version identification to distinguish your version
   *    in addition to the base release version number,
   *   3. provide your name and address as the primary contact for the
   *    support of your modified version, and
   *   4. retain our contact information in regard to use of the base
   *    software.
   * Permission to distribute the released version of the source code along
   * with corresponding source modifications in the form of a patch file is
   * granted with same provisions 2 through 4 for binary distributions.
   *
   * This software is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty
   * to the extent permitted by applicable law.
  ]*/

Note that you are allowed to distribute modified versions, though not
in the most convenient way (you must distribute the original and
patches).  AFAIK, this is GPL compatible.  I believe that it is also
like the situation for TeX (change files, anyone?).

Please help the gnuplot people update their FAQ (and when you are
done, please help us update ours!).

Thanks,

jwe