Re: changing the color of curves continuously

From: Julien.Tailleur
Subject: Re: changing the color of curves continuously
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 23:22:29 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Quentin Spencer wrote:

So, you want to specify the line color using an exact RGB value? I looked at doing this once, and I think gnuplot doesn't have this capability. If you read the man page for gnuplot, it says you can change the default colors by setting the X resources at startup using a .gnuplot file or command-line switches with things like this:
gnuplot*line1Color: red

Exactly, I'm really surprised that such a powerful tool as gnuplot does not allow you to change the color of the plot you make!

The problem is I think it still only recognizes 8 colors. There is a "palette" line style in 3-D mode, but I don't know if it would help you. For an example, go into gnuplot and try the command:
splot x*x with line palette

I had a look at this, but it seems only too work with surface, and not with 3 rows datafiles (i could add one row with my parameter as a third coordinate)

I'd really like to see the mesh function switch to using this line style--it's closer to what Matlab does. For a 2-D plot with more control over line colors, I think you may need to look at some of the alternate graphics modules that others have proposed.

-Quentin

Thanks!

Julien