Octave/C++

From: Mike Morley
Subject: Octave/C++
Date: 22 Jul 2005 10:32:04 +0100

Hi,

I see there's been some chatter about this recently, but I have another question for the Octave/C++ gurus.

I'm currently working on a project that involves robotics in a University teaching environment.

Students currently control the robot using a C++ program they write themselves and a set of commands for which they have the header files.

(I've put the header files and an example program that tests the link online at http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~mjm80/robot/)

What we would ideally like is a higher level way of controlling the robot - ie, from Octave. Partly this would enable signal processing to become much easier and thus easily extend the range of tasks we can expect students to get their robots to perform.

As I understand it, I need to create the C++ wrappers for each of the functions and then compile this into a .oct file in order to run it.

However: I'm not entirely sure how to do this - is it, for example, possible to have a robot_link object that persists for the entire Octave program? Would I be able to create a function that mimics rlink.command (COMMAND_NAME, var) that takes COMMAND_NAME and var in as arguments, or would I have to create a function for each specific command?

Any help/pointers would be greatly appreciated.

- Mike Morley