Re: using strings as arguments to load and save

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: using strings as arguments to load and save
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 15:39:13 +0200

Hi
While I haven't tried this, I guess you could do somewhing like this
load("-hdf5", file, "DAY")

/Søren

Nuno Nunes wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to use the load and save commands with a string variable as
the name of the file to work on. I'm very puzzled as to why it works in
one case, but not in others (that would be more useful to me).

If I write the filename explicitly, the command works as expected, i.e.
loads the variable DAY from HDF5 file nov03.h5m2:
octave:14> load -hdf5 nov03.h5m2 DAY

Using a string variable as filename, I get an error:
octave:17> file = "nov03.h5m2"
octave:18> load file
error: load: nonexistent file: `file'

After some experimentation I found that

load (file)

works (i.e. the variable file expands to nov03.h5m2), except it loads
all variables (which I want to avoid with 7 GB files...) If I specify
the variable, I get a syntax error:
octave:18> load (file) DAY
parse error:

  syntax error

load (file) DAY

                  ^
octave:18> load -hdf5 (file) DAY
error: load: nonexistent file: `(file)'

I couldn't find any documentation of this behaviour, and now I ran out
of ideas to try to get the variable string to expand to its value. Has
anyone managed to do this? How is it done? Am I doing anything wrong?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nuno