Re: mouse on MacOSX/X11

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: mouse on MacOSX/X11
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 20:50:54 -0600

On 7/15/05, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:

> On the OS X system, does this show any different behavior than
> Octave+gnuplot?  If so, then there might be a bug in the way Octave is
> communicating with gnuplot.  Otherwise, if the behavior is the same
> then I think the problem is not in Octave.

I found the following on the Apple's Unix-porting mailing list:

http://lists.apple.com/archives/Unix-porting/2005/Jul/msg00024.html

"<<<
Tiger breaks pipes?

    * Subject: Tiger breaks pipes?
    * From: John Reppy <address@hidden>
    * Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 22:23:56 -0500

I have some code that works on most flavors of Unix, including MacOS X 10.2 and
10.3, but breaks on 10.4. Using ktrace, I've tracked the problem down
to an fstat
call on a file descriptor that was allocated using pipe(2). The problem is that
when the child process that the pipe connects to has closed its end of the pipe,
the fstat call returns an EBADF error. The man page for pipe states that

    The pipe itself persists until all its associated
    descriptors are closed.

so this looks like a bug to me, but perhaps I'm misunderstanding the
documentation.
Has anyone encountered similar problems?

>>>"

This may or may not be related to gnuplot-octave interaction.

> jwe

Dmitri.