Re: Finding .m files on Mac with Tiger

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Finding .m files on Mac with Tiger
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 18:43:29 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, Paul Kienzle wrote:

locate is also very useful:

        locate .m

Usually you need to use it with grep:

        locate .m | grep "filt.*[.]m$"  ;# find all filt*.m files

But won't that match things like this:

/home/bob/filth/porn.m

I'm only half joking - the thing is that the '.*' in the regex could match a slash '/' and the 'filt' could be part of a directory name. I think this will do it correctly:

locate "*.m" | egrep 'filt[^/]*\.m$'

the '[^/]*' means that between 'filt' and '.m' there may be any number of non-slash characters. The '$' may be unnecessary because the '*' is "greedy" and the "*.m" in the locate command insures that every line ends in '.m'

locate uses a database created by updatedb. I don't remember doing anything to enable it, but this is an inherited mac, so your milage may vary.

Yes, the updatedb is key. It might not be searching the entire disk or disk array and you have to know what it is doing. It also will have indexed things some time ago, but how long? It depends on your settings. In my system, it runs as a root crontab. There are security issues too.

Mike