Re: HDF5 detection on 64 bit systems

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: HDF5 detection on 64 bit systems
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 10:42:06 +0200

Quentin Spencer wrote:

HDF5 packages were recently released in Fedora Extras, and I'm trying to
include support for it in the Fedora octave packages. I was looking at
the build logs and discovered that the i386 and PPC versions correctly
detected the presence of HDF5, but x86_64 did not. This happened at the
following line of the configuration:

checking for H5Pcreate in -lhdf5... no

Unfortunately, the builds are submitted in batch mode, and I don't have
access to config.log to look more carefully at why this test failed, so
I'm asking here to see if anyone else has run into a similar problem. On
Fedora 64 bit systems, the library path is /usr/lib64 rather than
/usr/lib, but the build script tells this to the configure command, and
it is able to correctly find all other necessary libraries. Is there
anything about the configure test for HDF5 that is different and may
ignore this for any reason? Is there a command-line option to configure
that may help it correctly locate HDF5?

-Quentin

Try creating a file conftest.c with the code

char H5Pcreate ();
int main () {
 H5Pcreate ();
 return 0;
}

in it. Then compiling it with

gcc -o conftest -g -O2  conftest.c -L/usr/lib64 -lhdf5  -lz -lm

This should give you the same errors as the config.log file would give you. It will also let you experiment with what method you need to detect H5Pcreate and also what compile options are needed... If you can't get access to a 64bit platform elsewhere to test this, I believe you can do it in the context of your subscription to source-forge, though I believe there is a check-box in your subscription you need to select to allow access to the source-forge shell accounts and compile farm..

Regards
David

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary