Re: statistics distributions function names

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: statistics distributions function names
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 20:28:47 -0400

On Jun 24, 2005, at 3:25 PM, Mike Miller wrote:

We have to address a broader question: When MATLAB comes out with a new toolbox with a bunch of new functions, should we always try to produce functions with the same names that do the same things? Maybe we should just try to replicate the base system features.

For octave-forge I've been encouraging folks to use the same interface for the same functionality unless the existing interface is particularly bad. There are a number of packages on the web which rely on routines from the signal processing toolbox, one of which I happened to be using when I was working with speech. The image processing toolbox also seems to be common. I don't know about the others.

- Paul