Re: bsearch in octave

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: bsearch in octave
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:22:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

I want to find the last element in a row vector that is less than a
given value.  I want the index of this value.  In C, for example, I'd
use bsearch (binary search), thus the subject on my mail.

I don't see how to do this in octave (besides implementing binary
search).  Did I miss it?  Any pointers?

Thanks much.

For example,

   bsearch([1, 3, 7, 15], 6)  ==> 2
   bsearch([1, 3, 7, 15], 7)  ==> 3
   bsearch([1, 3, 7, 15], 8)  ==> 3

That is, 3 < 6 < 7, but 7 < 7 < 15 and 7 < 8 < 15.  And 3 has index 2,
7 has index 3.

I'd do something like:

a = [1,3,7,15];
min(find(a <= 6))

Bill

--
"This is perfect -- naked ladies, candy, and corporal punishment. All wrapped up in one cautionary tale. What could be more guy?"
  -- Jon Scieszka, Guys Read