statistics distributions function names

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: statistics distributions function names
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 09:03:01 -0500

On 23-Jun-2005, Ben Barrowes wrote:

| Why are the names for the distribution functions in
| /usr/local/share/octave/2.9.3/m/statistics/distributions/
| different from their ML counterparts?

I'm not certain, but it might be that some of the Octave functions
were written before the functions in Matlab.  Or, it might be that
they were written at a time when there was not so much empasis on
compatibility with Matlab.

If you owuld like for this to improve, then please submit patches to
provide a compatibile interface.  It would be best to keep the current
interface at least for a while, perhaps also having the incompatible
functions emit warnings.

jwe