Re: Configure error in Building 64-bit Octave

From: Aakash S Dalwani
Subject: Re: Configure error in Building 64-bit Octave
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:52:01 -0500

On 6/17/2005, "John W. Eaton" <address@hidden> wrote:

>On 16-Jun-2005, Aakash S Dalwani wrote:
>
>| Respected Sir,
>|     I am trying to compile Octave 64-bit on our Itanium 64-bit machines
>| running Red Hat Enterprise Linux release 3
>|
>|     I am using the intel compilers icc & ifort with the following
>| configure
>| command:
>| /configure --prefix=/home/octave/ --enable-64 --with-f77=ifort CXX=icc
>| CC=icc F77=ifort FFLAGS="-i8 -O"
>|
>| Configure throws the following error:
>| "checking for dummy main to link with Fortran 77 libraries... unknown
>| configure: error: linking to Fortran libraries from C fails"
>
>Which version of Octave are you using and what version of autoconf was
>used to generate the configure script?

   As per your instructions I checked out the latest CVS sources. I had a
question here though. Since the 64-bit changes have been merged with the
main branch, both of the following will give me the up to date version,
right?

"cvs -d :ext:address@hidden:/cvs checkout -r branch-64-bit-merge
octave"

"cvs -d :ext:address@hidden:/cvs -z 9 checkout octave"

Or am I mistaken & should use only the second one?

>I think it should work if you use autoconf 2.59.

    I am using autoconf 2.57, do you think that is the cause of the error?

>Also, you don't really need the --with-f77=ifort option.  The
>following should be sufficient:
>
> ./configure --prefix=... --enable-64 CXX=icc CC=icc F77=ifort FFLAGS="-i8 -O"

    The reason I had to use "--with-f77=ifort" is because, if I used
only "F77=ifort", for some strange reason octave was configured to use
f77. Is this a bug?

>BTW, do you really want --prefix=/home/octave?  Will you be able to
>write to that directory?

    My mistake. A typo in the e-mail. The actual prefix mentioned was
"/home/aakash/octave". So that is fine.

Thanking you,
Regards,
--