Re: Octave-forge: you get what you pay for

From: Matthias Heiler
Subject: Re: Octave-forge: you get what you pay for
Date: 15 Jun 2005 19:17:32 +0200

"John W. Eaton" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 15-Jun-2005, Vic Norton wrote:
>
> | I reported this problem with lp to the powers that be over 4 years ago.
> | Nothing has been done about it. So my warning to you stands.
>
> I would also like to emphasize that there are no "powers that be" for
> Octave or Octave forge.  Both are largely community projects.  If you
> want things to improve, then it would be much more useful for you to
> help in constructive ways, say by providing funding or helping to fix
> the problems you encounter.
>
> Yes, bug reports can be a useful contribution, but if you receive no
> response to a bug report and you find that it is not fixed for some
> time, then it might be that no one noticed the report, or no one knows
> how to fix the problem.

In the latter case it would be nice if the developers or maintainers
could just remove the buggy code from the distribution. Or move it
into an "incomplete" or "buggy" directory that is _not_ automatically
included in the octave path.

This has the benefit that people take notice: "Oh, there is no LP
solver for octave."  Then they can either contribute or move to an
alternative.  That's more efficient for everybody.

Matthias