Re: Octave-forge: you get what you pay for

From: Keith Goodman
Subject: Re: Octave-forge: you get what you pay for
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:22:07 -0700

On 6/15/05, Vic Norton <address@hidden> wrote:
> I reported this problem with lp to the powers that be over 4 years ago.

I think a bug tracking system would be helpful (for Octave and for
Octave-Forge). Then people could at least check to see if there are
any open bugs on any complicated functions they use like lp.

I try to report bugs when I finds them, which is not necessarily when
I have time to attempt making a patch. The problem is that even I have
trouble keeping track of the status of my own bug reports. I have a
nagging suspicion that older, but open bugs, get forgotten.

My experience with Octave-Forge has been the opposite of yours. I
would not be using Octave today if it were not for Octave-Forge. Many
of the functions that you are using in Octave started in Octave-Forge.
That process, by design, leaves Octave-Forge with the functions that
are more difficult to maintain.