Re: Efficient I/O for 24-bit integer?

From: Johan Kullstam
Subject: Re: Efficient I/O for 24-bit integer?
Date: 15 Jun 2005 07:20:06 -0400

address@hidden writes:

> Hello,

> perhaps someone on the list has a good idea for this. I am in need
> for an efficient method to read and write large arrays of 24-bit
> signed integer values to and from binary files.

Two options:
1) Write C++ .oct files to read and write the array(s).
2) Make a pair of translator programs which convert the 24-bit array
to something more amenable to octave such as double-float or 32-bit
integer.  I would choose the double format since that's what octave
will convert the others into anyway.  (You can squeeze it into a
single-float since the 23 bit mantissa carries an implied 1 at the
front.)  The translator could be written in C, C++, fortran, &c.

Given a working C/C++ compiler and mkoctfile, option 1) is actually
not too hard.

--
Johan KULLSTAM