input_event_hook (?) freezes input

From: kraiskil
Subject: input_event_hook (?) freezes input
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 04:39:46 -0500

Hi,
I'm having trouble with the input_event_hook
function, and I'm not even sure what exactly
the symptoms are. :( Any hints are more than
welcome!

I'm developing an IDE for octave (availible at
http://yaog.sf.net). The IDE communicates with
octave both via the terminal and a FIFO.
Octave polls the FIFO with a .oct that gets
run by the input_event_hook-mechanism.
All the .oct file does is check if there is data
(ASCII command) on the FIFO. If there is, it
is run with the eval_string() function.

The main problem is that sometimes terminal
input freezes. Octave runs, but the stdin and
stdout are ignored. I can still communicate with
octave via the FIFO. (and octave responds, of
course).
The freeze happens pseudo-randomly. On a RedHat
EL3 with octave 2.9.3 this happens after 1-3
FIFO-communications. On a MacOSX there can be
up to 40 communications via the FIFO before the
freeze occurs.

While trying to debug this, I noticed that the
.oct-file leaks memory on MacOSX with octave 2.9.3
It really shouldn't, and doesn't leak on Mac
with octave 2.1.67. Nor does it leak on the
RHEL with octave 2.9.3. ( I couldn't compile
it with octave-2.1.50 on the RHEL).
I don't know if the freeze and mem-leak are connected.
I didn't get a freeze with Mac and octave 2.1.67.
(but that doens't mean there wouldn't be the possibility)

Has anyone had similar problems?
Any hints?

Thanks in advance,
Kalle Raiskila