Re: Save produces large files

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: Save produces large files
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:00:51 +0200

Quentin Spencer wrote:
[snip]
Well, since octave stores numbers as double precision by default, that's
8 bytes per matrix element, and 200*10000*8 = 16000000 bytes per matrix
(assuming the matrix is real). I guess the important question is do you
need double precision? If the data can be stored using limited precision
(32 bit float or integer) then you can cut the size in half. If it could
be stored as 16-bit integer, then you could get the size down to 4 MB
per matrix, which is still large, but a step in the right direction.
I really don't need more than 3bit integers for most of the data. The problem is that the data contains NaN-values that I need to preserve. So I don't think I can use anything other than doubles, or am I mistaken?

-Quentin
/Søren