octave-forge compile problems (beginner's question)

From: David Collett
Subject: octave-forge compile problems (beginner's question)
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:46:44 -0700

Hi, everyone.

Many of you have been very kind helping me to get started with octave. At least six people suggested that I install octave-forge.

I just downloaded and installed octave-forge according to the Mac OS X instructions that were included.

I don't know anything about C or compiling, etc., but during the process (which took a long time!), the Terminal window had thousands of lines racing by, and it seemed like at least half of them were error messages. I let it keep going, and it finally finished. At the end of this process, the following info appeared:

-----

Installation complete.
To use, add the following to .octaverc:
LOADPATH = [ '/sw/lib/octave/2.1.53/site/oct/powerpc-apple- darwin8.1.0/octave-forge:/sw/share/octave/2.1.53/site/m/octave- forge//:', LOADPATH ]; EXEC_PATH = [ '/sw/lib/octave/2.1.53/site/exec/powerpc-apple- darwin8.1.0:', EXEC_PATH ];

-----

But as soon as I typed 'octave' and it started, it reported these 3 errors, which I didn't have prior to installing octave-forge:

-----

[David-Colletts-Computer:doc/octave/examples] david% octave
GNU Octave, version 2.1.53 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.1.0).
Copyright (C) 2004 John W. Eaton.

error: `dispatch' undefined near line 2 column 1
error: near line 2 of file `/sw/share/octave/2.1.53/site/m/octave- forge/comm//PKG_ADD' error: source: error sourcing file `/sw/share/octave/2.1.53/site/m/ octave-forge/comm//PKG_ADD'
octave:1>

-----

Do you know what happened and how I can fix these problems?

Do you think that octave-forge didn't install correctly?
Is there any way that I can tell?

Obviously, I don't know what to do now. Thanks very much.

David Collett