Re: How do I just load (read) a file? (beginner's question)

From: Peter Plessas
Subject: Re: How do I just load (read) a file? (beginner's question)
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 16:59:09 +0200

Hi David,

Ah! Finally something where i think i can help...

I think Octave is just searching specific places for .m files, the so-called path. best/simplest would be to put the file in the directory you started Octave from (in the shell).

Otherwise look on further info regarding "paths" etc.

regards, P.

David Collett wrote:
Hi. I just installed Octave (on Mac OS X 10.4.1).

I've started going through the manual and trying the various commands.

The manual says that instead of typing functions, loops, assignments, etc., we can instead type them first into a file, then just type the name of the file from the command line.

I tried type the name of my text file (named "logisticmap"), but I got this response:

     octave:1> logisticmap
     error: `logisticmap' undefined near line 1 column 1

What am I doing wrong? I have this file on my Desktop.
Do I have to put it somewhere else?
Does it have to have an extension at the end of the filename?

I've looked through the manual, but I can't find the answer.

Thanks to anyone  who can get this beginner started!

David