Re: How do I just load (read) a file? (beginner's question)

From: Miquel Cabanas
Subject: Re: How do I just load (read) a file? (beginner's question)
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 12:33:08 +0200

hi David,

On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 01:44:26AM -0700, David Collett wrote:

> I tried type the name of my text file (named "logisticmap"), but I
> got this response:
>
>      octave:1> logisticmap
>      error: `logisticmap' undefined near line 1 column 1
>
> What am I doing wrong? I have this file on my Desktop.
> Do I have to put it somewhere else?

you have to tell the program where to search for your files. For
more information, check this email posted to the Octave mail list,

> Does it have to have an extension at the end of the filename?

the so called M-files, containing only octave commands, are expected
to have the file extension ".m", but I don't know whether this is
optional or mandatory, in any case, it's a good policy to quickly
identify M-files as such.

Miquel

--
SeRMN, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona (address@hidden)