Re: Help developing extensions

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: Help developing extensions
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 16:50:43 +0300

Hi Øivind,

I would be thankful for some advice / help on how to built extensions for
Octave ..

I would like to develop new C++ functions and reuse some old code, which I
could run and test from within Octave. I currently run on Windows XP, and
use Microsoft development tools. So all these questions are related to
development and use on Windows XP.

Which distribution to use, and how to install? Should I install Cygwin first
and then Octave (ver 2.1.71),
 or
could I use a distribution that make a complete Octave Windows installation?

I think it is best to first install cygwin & than compile octave 2.1.71 from source, and than compile octave-forge from source. This could take a few hours

Any difference between the installations in terms of adding my own
functions/code?

the "complete" installes are very antiquated and don't support dll's

Is there a standard interface/method for such, so I could say develop dll's
that could be called from Octave trough som m-function? I believe this can
be done in this way in Matlab.

Is there a good description of how to interface/make extensions somewhere?

Have a look at wiki.octave.org, it has many pointers and tips. One good one is

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/prthomas/intro.html

Is knowledge of Unix/Linux advantageous/necessary/essential?

I would say advantageous but not necessary/essential

Do I need to use special compilers and tools, or could I develop my
extensions with Microsoft compilers/development tools?

I think it has only been tried with gcc which comes with cygwin. I don't recall anyone trying to use MS tools.

Shai Ayal