Re: Repository of Octave scripts

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Repository of Octave scripts
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 09:52:12 -0400

On  2-Jun-2005, Javier Arantegui Jimenez wrote:

| Not exactly. What I wanted is a site with lots of classified and
| documented scripts:
|
| * Chemical Eng.
|    - Reactors
|    - Separation operations
|    - ...
| * Electronic eng.
|    - signal processing
|    - ...
| * ...
|
| I know that there are hundreds of scripts in differente sites but
| sometimes it's quite hard to find them.

It would be great to have a package system for Octave and a
corresponding repository, similar to what has been done for R, Perl,
Python, TeX, etc.  This would complement octave-forge not
replace it.  Octave-forge would remain the place for collaborative
development of Octave add-ons while the package repository would be
more of a place for polished collections of code that could be
downloaded individually. Packages might depend on others so updates
would get everything you need, etc.

Who is interested in helping to design a package format for Octave
and/or set up and maintain the archive?

jwe