Re: Announcing Octave-FANN

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Announcing Octave-FANN
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 09:26:20 -0400

On  3-Jun-2005, Søren Hauberg wrote:

| Unfortunaly, I don't know the first thing about autoconf, autotools or
| whatever they are called. So I just created a Makefile by hand that
| helped me during development. So to install you have to copy the .oct
| and .m files to a directory of your choice.

You don't need to use any of the autotools to automate this task.  You
can add rules to your makefile by hand.  Just use the octave-config
script to tell you where the installation directory is for the version
of Octave that is on your system.  For example:

  octave-config --print LOCALFCNFILEDIR

will print the directory where local .m files should be installed.

Other variables of interest include

  LOCALOCTFILEDIR
  LOCALAPIFCNFILEDIR
  LOCALAPIOCTFILEDIR
  LOCALVERFCNFILEDIR
  LOCALVEROCTFILEDIR

The variables that contain VER in their names are version-specific
directories.  The variables that contain API in their names are
API-specific directories.  So you should use those to install anything
that might depend on a particular version or API version of Octave.
It is usually better to install .oct files in API specific
directories.

jwe