printf and fprintf for "%"

From: Jun Ohta
Subject: printf and fprintf for "%"
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 23:59:47 +0900

Hello,

I have been using GNU Octave for 2 years. The octave language is easy to use
for beginers, I know. Two years ago, I had not had any experience of
programming.

Now, I would like to let octave write the character "%" to a text file. I
tried to use "fprintf" for that, but, it was not successful. My use of
"printf" for displaying "%" (see below) has not been successful, too.

I would appreciate it if somebody lets me know how to let octave write the
character "%" to a text file.

Thank you.

Jun Ohta

>> a = "%"
a = %
>> printf(a)
error: fprintf: invalid format specified
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 35, column 12
error: evaluating if command near line 34, column 3
error: called from `printf' in file
`/usr/local/share/octave/2.1.50/m/io/printf.m'