Re: How can I get a "real plot window" in octave like the one in gnuplot

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: How can I get a "real plot window" in octave like the one in gnuplot?
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 09:25:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 27 May 2005, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:

lming_44 wrote:
Hi!
    I have the following problem: In gnuplot , when I type " plot
sin(x)", it will popup a plot window, and I can zoom in , zoom out the
graphic with mouse. And when I move my mouse, I can get the current
coord. But in octave, "plot " command just popup a normal window with a
static graphic. How can I get a plot window in octave with mouse
support? Thanks!

See

http://www.octave.org/octave-lists/archive/help-octave.2005/msg00661.html
and
http://www.gnuplot.info/faq/faq.html#SECTION00076000000000000000

This seems like it would be a good functionality increase generally. Would it be possible to have octave add this to a .gnuplot file perhaps by asking the question on the first startup

Would you like to add mouse functionality in plotting?

And turn this feature off by setting a variable like

ask_gnuplot_mouse = 0

in .octaverc?

I realize that this is a relatively complex fix, and there is probably a more appropriate way to fix this (perhaps just add "gset mouse" to the plot commands?). I mention this because I had issues with it, too, when I started using octave.

Bill

--
"One friend in a lifetime is much; two are many; three are hardly
possible.  Friendship needs a certain parallelism of life, a community