Plot with Cygwin and Octave 2.1.71 (was: Octave 2.1.70 with cygwin)

From: Carine Simon
Subject: Plot with Cygwin and Octave 2.1.71 (was: Octave 2.1.70 with cygwin)
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 10:01:03 +0200

-----Mensaje original-----
De: John W. Eaton [mailto:address@hidden]
Enviado el: martes, 24 de mayo de 2005 15:52
Para: Carine Simon
CC: address@hidden
Asunto: RE: Octave 2.1.70 with cygwin

On 24-May-2005, Carine Simon wrote:

| Thanks for your help John. I've finally installed more packages for

| cygwin like tetex and could install everything. The weird thing is I

| couldn't make gnuplot worked with the default version of gnuplot for

| cygwin.

What do you mean that it didn't work?  Precisely what was the problem?

Did you start X before running Octave?  The gnuplot that is

distributed with Cygwin requires X to display plots on the screen.

| Now, it all works having downloaded gp400win32.zip.

That is also an OK solution if you do not need to display multiple

figures on the screen at once.

That is true, I hadn't tested that yet!

I don't know how to start X (startx command doesn't work on my cygwin). Therefore, I've reinstalled the gp400win32x11.zip package and I've created a .xinitrc, copying the /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc to a .xinitrc in my home directory. Then Ive modified the xterm part to:

# start some nice programs

wmaker

#exec xterm -e /usr/bin/bash l

Therefore, thanks to the wmaker, I can start an environment with xinit. Within this environment, the multiplot does work.

I dont know if there is a simpler way. Moreover, I dont understand why the first time Ive installed Octave under Cygwin, I had no plotting problem at all.

| On the other hand, I would be very interested in a chapter explaining a

| bit what has been discussed in that list on what and how to install

| octave to run fast. Unfortunately, I can't help for that!

Why not?

Well, I can report my trials as Ive just done it but Im afraid I cant afford much more.

Cheers,
Carine.