Re: popularizing Octave (was "windows version of Octave")

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: popularizing Octave (was "windows version of Octave")
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 11:51:21 -0400

On 24-May-2005, Quentin Spencer wrote:

| It's important to note that because of the number of different platforms
| that octave is used on, John has not provided binaries of octave for
| several years (I think I recall he used to).

Yes, because in the past I managed a collection of systems that
included most of the popular platforms of the time (DEC Ultrix (Mips),
Alpha OSF/1, SunOS 4, AIX, HP/UX and maybe something I'm forgetting).
But now I really only have useful access to Debian systems on x86
hardware.  So even if I had time to do it, I would not be able to
provide a useful array of binary packages.  I also don't think it
makes sense for me to spend my time building binary packages for
people when that is something that other members of the Octave
community can do.  I really do appreciate the effort of those who have
made binary packages in the past and those who continue to do so.  I
rely on the Debian packages for installing Octave and would rather not
source on all the systems I manage.

jwe