Re: popularizing Octave (was "windows version of Octave")

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: popularizing Octave (was "windows version of Octave")
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 10:27:22 -0500

John W. Eaton wrote:

No, this will not be perfect, but it will be a lot less effort than
anything else I can think of, so we can have something useful soon.
Then we can worry about making it better with packages for ATLAS,
FFTW, HDF5, UMFPACK, etc., and making the installation even simpler.
But at least people will have a current version of Octave to use while
we are doing all of that.  All it really will require is for someone
(or better, some group) to build the Cygwin package and upload it to
the Cygwin site.  You'll also need to become enough of a member of the
Cygwin community that they will accept the package.  This means
joining and reading a mailing list, and being responsive to building
new packages in a relatively timely fashion.  See
http://cygwin.com/setup.html for more details about becoming a Cygwin
package maintainer.

To make things a bit easier, I have some scripts for building cygwin
packages that you can use to get started.  Eventually, maintaining the
package should be as simple as

 * download a new version of Octave

 * run a single script to build the new package (in most cases this
   will simply work; occasionally there may be problems to fix)

 * upload the package to the Cgywin site

but even so, I can't be the one to do this regularly.  We need some
volunteers.  So if you really want to see Octave on Windows improve,
this would be a great place to start.
It's important to note that because of the number of different platforms that octave is used on, John has not provided binaries of octave for several years (I think I recall he used to). Right now it's very easy to get Octave running on Debian Linux precisely because a group of volunteers has taken over the task of building packages for the community. I'm working on doing the same for Fedora Linux, and hopefully if the same thing happens for Cygwin, this will ensure that a large majority of octave users have an easy way of keeping up with octave releases.

I realize that while the cygwin setup procedure, while straightforward, requires more "clicks" than many Windows users are accustomed to. However, I agree with John that a regularly updated Cygwin package is better than the current state of confusion about octave for windows. Another thing to consider is that if you look at Debian, Fedora Extras, and Cygwin, I think some type program that updates an entire system when needed is the direction that the free software world is moving, because there are many more programs and dependencies than one person can easily keep track of.

-Quentin