octave tests

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: octave tests
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 09:22:10 -0400

On 23-May-2005, Corbin Champion wrote:

| Is the same set of tests used to prove functionality of an octave release
| available as part of the source?

Yes, the tests are distributed with the Octave sources.

| If so, from the command line, how do you run this set of tests?

After building Octave, you can run them with

  make check

in the top-level build directory.  The tests are run with DejaGNU.  Or
maybe you meant the the Octave command line?  You can't run them
directly from there.

| Is there a document that descibes the normal test flow?

Not really, but you have the source.

There are also some tests that are appended to some .m files and run
by some functions in octave-forge written by Paul Kienzle.

As I have said before:

http://www.octave.org/octave-lists/archive/octave-maintainers.2005/msg00196.html

I originally chose the DejaGNU test framework because it seemed like
the best thing.  Now I don't think we need all of that machinery for
testing Octave.  If Octave crashes during a test run, then that
problem should be fixed immediately.  It doesn't really matter whether
the rest of the tests beyond the point of the crash are also executed.

So it would be useful if someone would take the current set of tests
and move them to the source (.m or .cc) and come up with a way to make
the tests available to both "make check" and the Octave command line.
I'm sure that some (or most) of the transoformation could be
automated, because the format of the .exp and .m files for the current
set of DejaGNU tests are reasonably uniform.

jwe