RE: windows version of Octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: RE: windows version of Octave
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 16:39:52 -0400

On 23-May-2005, I wrote:

| OK, I think we will have to include print.m in Octave soon,

This is done now.  So in the future the answer to this FAQ should
simply be

  Current versions of Octave have a print function that is mostly
  compatible with the print function in Matlab.  So you should be able
  to do something like

    * prepare a plot on the screen

    * use a command like

        print foo.eps -depsc

      to print the current figure.

I also included the orient function, but I avoided using gget, so the
version of print in Octave always returns the output to the default
(i.e., the screen).  The terminal type is managed with the new
push/pop form of gnuplot's set terminal command:

  set terminal push
  set terminal TERM OPTIONS
  set terminal pop

so the print function in Octave requires gnuplot 4.0 or later.  It
would be nice if you could do the same with the output setting.  Or
perhaps *any* gnuplot setting, perhaps by allowing "push" as a synonym
for "set", with the added feature of pushing the old setting on a
stack, "pop" as a way to restore the previously pushed setting.  I.e.,
you could then write

  push terminal TERM OPTIONS
  pop terminal

instead of what is currently required, and the same kind of thing
would work for

  push output "foo.eps"
  pop output

jwe