Re: directing output of plot to a flie

From: Henry F. Mollet
Subject: Re: directing output of plot to a flie
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 16:06:16 -0700

on 5/22/05 10:25 AM, Bhaskar Ramamurthy at address@hidden wrote:

> I am trying to direct the output of plot to a file to be able to import the
> figure to MS Word or Excel. I have tried browsing through the help section
> of octave.org and I am not able to figure it out yet. Can somebody help?
> Thanks
>
> BRam

print.m in octave-forge
Henry

octave:1> help print

print is the user-defined function from the file
/Users/mollet/Desktop/usr/local/share/octave/2.1.55/site/m/octave-forge/plot
/print.m

 - Function File:  print (FILENAME, OPTIONS)
     Print a graph, or save it to a file

     FILENAME defines the file name of the output file. If no filename
     is specified, output is sent to the printer.

    `-PPRINTER'
          Set the PRINTER name to which the graph is sent if no
          FILENAME is specified.

    `-color'
    `-mono'
          Monochrome or colour lines.

    `-solid'
    `-dashed'
          Solid or dashed lines.

    `-portrait'
    `-landscape'
          Plot orientation, as returned by "orient".

    `-dDEVICE'
          Output device, where DEVICE is one of:
         `ps'
         `ps2'
         `psc'
         `psc2'
               Postscript (level 1 and 2, mono and color)

         `eps'
         `eps2'
         `epsc'
         `epsc2'
               Encapsulated postscript (level 1 and 2, mono and color)

         `ill'
         `aifm'
               Adobe Illustrator

         `cdr'
         `corel'
               CorelDraw

         `hpgl'
               HP plotter language

         `fig'
               XFig

         `dxf'
               AutoCAD

         `mf'
               Metafont

         `png'
               Portable network graphics

         `pbm'
               PBMplus

          Other devices are supported by "convert" from ImageMagick.
          Type   system("convert") to see what formats are available.

          If the device is omitted, it is inferred from the file
          extension,   or if there is no filename it is sent to the
          printer as postscript.

    `-FFONTNAME'
    `-FFONTNAME:SIZE'
    `-F:SIZE'
          FONTNAME set the postscript font (for use with postscript,
          aifm, corel and fig). By default, 'Helvetica' is set for
          PS/Aifm,   and 'SwitzerlandLight' for Corel. It can also be
          'Times-Roman'.  SIZE is given in points. FONTNAME is ignored
          for the   fig device.

     The filename and options can be given in any order.

     If you are using Octave 2.1.x or above, command("print") will
     change print from a function to a command, so instead of typing
     print("-FTimes-Roman:14", "-dashed", "-depsc", "out.ps") you can
     type    print -FTimes-Roman:14 -dashed -depsc out.ps

     See also: orient, command