Re: how to automatic reverse i search when pressing up arrow at prompt w

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: how to automatic reverse i search when pressing up arrow at prompt with text?
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 05:23:22 -0400

On 20-May-2005, E. Joshua Rigler wrote:

| Thanks for this suggestion, this is something I've wanted to know how to
| do for years!
|
| However, after an admittedly too brief examination of the readline man
| page, and a little experimentation with the .inputrc file, I still can't
| figure out how to make readline find a line in the command history that
| has a matching string at ANY position, not just the beginning of the
| command line (which is perfectly ML compatible, and as such, not as
| useful as it could be).  Of course maybe this is best left as-is, and I
| should simply continue to use Ctl-r for more advanced history searches.
|
| Any suggestions?

Here are some:

  1. Use C-r to do reverse incremental search and be happy.

  2. Implement the behavior you want in readline and submit the patch
     to the readline maintainer.

  3. Explain clearly what behavior you want in readline and see if you
     can get someone else to implement it for you for free or for a
     fee.  Again, submit the patch to the readline maintainer so
     others will also benefit from the change.

For 2 and 3, even if the readline maintainer doesn't think the patch
is useful or good enough to include in the core distribution, you
still have the change for yourself.

But please don't expect the Octave maintainers to implement changes in
the command-line editing code.  It is really outside the scope of the
project, I think.  That's why we chose to use readline in the first
place.  We get the advantages of some pretty advanced command-line
editing code without having to implement it ourselves.

jwe