[octave] file i/o performance

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: [octave] file i/o performance
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 10:31:00 -0400

On 20-May-2005, Mark Robinson wrote:

| Hi.  Newbie question.
|
| I'm a new user of octave (using 2.1.62 on Mac OS X).  I'm trying to
| port over some MATLAB code and am finding reading a text file
| considerably slower in octave than in MATLAB 7.0.  Like, about 5 times
| slower, which seems to me like it is not an artifact of octave ... it's
| probably the code.
|
| Basically, the program makes a bunch of 'fgetl' calls and, depending on
| the content of the line (where it uses 'strrep' or 'strtok'), sticks it
| in one of two cell arrays.  Are any of these known to be slower in
| octave, or is there something to do with cell arrays that I should know
| about?
|
| It's actually a FASTA-formatted file for protein/DNA sequences.

If you think there is a bug in Octave, then please send a *complete*
bug report to the address@hidden list.  If you're not sure what to
include in the report so that someone might actually be able to help
you solve the problem, then please read
http://www.octave.org/bugs.html before sending your report.

It seems unlikely to me that anyone will be able to help you if you
if all you provide is a complaint about performance and a vague
description of your code.

jwe