Re: gnuplot interface

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: gnuplot interface
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 13:39:13 -0400

On 18-May-2005, Jonathan Stickel wrote:

| Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:

| >> Bummer... I just spent half a day upgrading from 2.1.64 to 2.1.69.
| >> Each octave upgrade requires me to recompile octave, octave-forge, and
| >> octaviz. :(
| >

| > I think 2.1.69 should work as well, since that was the first version with
| > a new gnuplot interface...
| >

| $ octave
| GNU Octave, version 2.1.69 (i686-pc-linux-gnu).
| Copyright (C) 2005 John W. Eaton.
| octave:7> gplot data axes x1y2 with lines   #I get correct plot
| octave:8> gplot data axes x1y2 with lines linetype 3
| error: `linetype' undefined near line 8 column 33
| error: evaluating plot style command
| octave:8> __gnuplot_plot__ data axes x1y2 with lines linetype 3
| error: `linetype' undefined near line 8 column 44
| error: evaluating plot style command
|
| Nope, not working for me.

The way Octave communicates with gnuplot was changed in the 2.9.x
series only.  That was one of the reasons for the split in version
numbers.  Othere reasons were sparse matrix support and 64-bit array
dimensions and indexing.  All these changes are "risky" so it seemed
like a good time to split the CVS archive so people would have
something reliable to work with (2.1.x).

The new names (__gnuplot_plot__, etc.) were introduced in the 2.1.x
series so that people could start using them over time, while the old
names are still available (with warnings).  But in 2.1.x the new names
are just aliases for the old names.  In 2.9.x, things work a bit
differently and the old names will be gone by the time we have a 3.0
release.

jwe