Python script for saving in Octave format

From: Keith Goodman
Subject: Python script for saving in Octave format
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 17:05:27 -0700

Does anyone have a python script that saves data in Octave format? My
first choice is -mat7-binary; my second choice is punch card.

Is the Octave binary format the same as the Octave text format, only
written in binary? So if I open a file in python for writing in binary
mode and write to it in the same format that I see in an Octave text
file, will I end up with anything other than a pile of mess?