Re: octave.org v www.octave.org

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: octave.org v www.octave.org
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 13:11:44 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 12 May 2005, John W. Eaton wrote:

On 11-May-2005, Mike Miller wrote:

| It looks like http://octave.org/ used to work, and I linked my pages to it
| that way, but now I have to use http://www.octave.org/ instead because
| octave.org stopped working.  Can't we have it both ways?  I can switch
| links to www.octave.org of course if that is now preferred.

If it did work in the past, I think that either a CNAME or an A record would have been in the DNS maps. I'm pretty sure there has never been an A record in the maps for any .octave.org addresses, and there is currently no CNAME record for octave.org. Anyway, I didn't request any changes to the maps. Does it really matter? I don't think we ever advertised http://octave.org. Was there some point when that was the name displayed by the web server? If so, I don't think it was intentional.

I think it is OK as is. I just did a quick google search for pages linking to octave.org and I found that all of them are linking either to www.octave.org or to the old .wisc.edu site which forwards to www.octave.org. So I guess it's just me, but I'll fix my links.

Mike