Re: two related questions

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: two related questions
Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 15:58:52 -0500

Eric Mesa wrote:

1) Does the Fedora RPM maintainer of Octave belong to this list?  The
readme in the installation directory of the source files said that RPM
was the best way to install.  Turns out it's already installed, but
version 2.1.57!  Could we get RPM of newer version?
Up to Fedora Core 3, the RPM was maintained by Red Hat, and I don't think the maintainer subscribed to the list. Yes, 2.1.57 is way out of date (which is why I don't think the maintainer subscribes here). In the upcoming Fedora Core 4 release, octave is being removed from "Fedora Core" and moved to "Fedora Extras", which will mean it is maintained by a member of the community (me) rather than someone at Red Hat. It should still be very easy to install, and it will probably be more up to date than past Red Hat releases. In the interim, recent RPMs can be found at ftp://coffee.phys.unm.edu/pub/octave/RPMS/i386/ .

2) Is there an RPM of octave-forge?  Compiling from source last time
caused me to be unable to login and I had to reformat my computer.
See the site above--an octave-forge RPM is there as well. I can't imagine how compiling octave-forge could have caused this--I've compiled it many times on all recent versions of Fedora. There may be other causes of the problem that by chance happened to coincide with your compiling octave-forge.

regards,
Quentin