Re: gvim and gedit

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: gvim and gedit
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 14:06:58 -0500

Mike Miller wrote:

On Fri, 6 May 2005, Quentin Spencer wrote:

There is a GPL matlab-mode for emacs that gets this right:
http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/files/104/matlab.el

That is spectacular - 5,793 lines of elisp (including comments). That's a lot of work.

Here's a question: Does matlab.el offer things that we do not get with the Octave mode in emacs? It looks Octave mode has been in the regular emacs distribution since 19.35:

Well, for starters, the matlab mode supports % comments and single-quoted strings, which octave-mode does not. Since a lot of my code gets used in both environments, I usually use the matlab-compatible versions, so I prefer the matlab emacs mode for that reason alone. It also seems to highlight a broader range of things, and does some things better like correctly detecting when a "end" keyword is the end of a block or the magic array indexing end. Since it's all GPL, if someone were ambitious they could integrate some of those features into octave mode. They both do things the other doesn't, so a combined version would be very nice.

-Quentin