Re: permute doesn't delete singletons

From: Jonathan Stickel
Subject: Re: permute doesn't delete singletons
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 09:56:36 -0700

You can use the squeeze command:

octave:14> x = zeros(10,1,2);
octave:15> z = permute(x,[3,1,2]);
octave:16> size(z)
ans =

           2          10           1

octave:17> z = squeeze(permute(x,[3,1,2]));
octave:18> size(z)
ans =

           2          10

I'm not sure if the maintainers are interested in modifying permute to automatically "squeeze" the dimensions.

Jonathan

Tom Holroyd wrote:
Hi.

Trailing singleton dimensions are automatically removed, right?  Like,

octave:67> x=zeros(10,3,1);
octave:68> size(x)
ans =

  10   3

But if I do:

octave:75> x=zeros(10,1,2);
octave:76> z=permute(x,[3,1,2]);
octave:77> size(z)
ans =

   2  10   1

I get a result with a trailing singleton dimension.  I'm porting some
MATLAB code that expects the result of permute above to be size 2 10,
which it is under MATLAB. Can permute be changed to remove the singleton dimension?