Re: octave->gnuplot->fig->eps

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: octave->gnuplot->fig->eps
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 15:54:58 +0300

Yes this is unfortunate. When writing octplot I wanted to take some code from gnuplot but fortunately noticed that it is indeed non-GPL! This caused me to reinvent many things, and to this day I do not go near gnuplot source code in fear I violate their license.

The problem is that gnuplot is an excellent plotting package, and no mature GPL'd alternative is available to the best of my knowledge.

Shai

Mike Miller wrote:
I just happened to read the following about gnuplot in the gnuplot FAQ:

   Gnuplot is neither written nor maintained by the FSF. It is not covered
   by the General Public License, either. It used to be distributed by the
   FSF, however, due to licensing issues it is no longer.

   Gnuplot is freeware in the sense that you don't have to pay for it.
   However it is not freeware in the sense that you would be allowed to
   distribute a modified version of your gnuplot freely. Please read and
   accept the Copyright file in your distribution.

Which surprised me, so I'm sending this to the list to be sure that everyone is aware of it. I had always assumed that gnuplot was a GNU product and distributed under the GPL.

Mike

Shai Ayal, Ph.D.
Head of Research
BioControl Medical BCM