new versions of Octave (was "How to print plots on a printer?")

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: new versions of Octave (was "How to print plots on a printer?")
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 14:46:42 -0400

On  2-May-2005, Mike Miller wrote:

| At what point in the development sequence were multi-dimensional arrays
| added to Octave?  Were they added first to the 2.9.x series, then added to
| the 2.1.x series?  I think that marked a fairly big increment in
| functionality.

That happened before the split.

Another thing that happened after the split was removing support for
gnuplot from the core parser/interpreter, which greatly simplified the
core parser for the language.

The changes like gplot -> __gnuplot_plot__ and gset -> __gnuplot_set__
may seem a bit painful now, but I think they will make things much
better in the long term.  I decided to start making that change in the
2.1.x series to make the transition somewhat easier.  The old forms
still work in 2.9.x, but will likely be removed by 3.0.

jwe